The Province of Ontario is the second largest province by area and the largest province by population. It covers over 1 million square kilometers and can be extremely difficult to traverse, particularly during the winter months.
For example, the distance between Toronto and Kenora, Ontario is approximately the same as the distance between Toronto and Jacksonville, Florida. A person can drive from Toronto to Jacksonville approximately 2.5 hours faster than they can to Kenora.
You are no longer limited to a criminal lawyer in your area
Many people who are charged with criminal offences in local communities across the province naturally select a local lawyer to represent them in court. This made practical and economic sense when lawyers were required to meet with clients in person and attend court in person (or through an agent). In some cases, the local lawyer was the only criminal lawyer the person knew that could help them.
Recently, all courts in Ontario (including the Ontario Court of Justice, the Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada) have issued practice directions that allow for the use of technology throughout various stages of court proceedings. These changes make it a lot easier for lawyers to represent clients in distant communities where it was previously costly and practically difficult to do so.
7 reasons to choose a Criminal Lawyer from the GTA
Under the new directives, it is far easier for you to retain the Ontario lawyer of your choice to represent you in your criminal matter wherever you live, wherever you are charged and wherever the lawyer is based.
You can now get the lawyer you want and trust to fight for you.
The question you might ask is “why should I retain a lawyer that is based in the Greater Toronto Area?”
- Criminal lawyers in the Greater Toronto Area have more experience than most other lawyers in the Province:
- Over 6.6 million Ontarians (45.9%) are served by 11 courthouses in the GTA, all easily accessible to GTA lawyers.
- In 2019, over 86,867 charges laid in Ontario (36.1%) were laid in the GTA (by contrast, only 5,020 charges were laid in Thunder Bay).
- Over 70% of Ontarians live within a 2 hour drive from the GTA.
- Over 70% of all charges laid in Ontario were dealt with in courthouses within a 2 hour drive from the GTA.
- The Brampton courthouse is the busiest courthouse in Canada. This is “home base” for Hogan Law Firm, as our head office is less than a 15 minute drive from the courthouse and we handle cases in that courthouse daily.
- Criminal lawyers in the Greater Toronto Area have more experience handling more complicated cases:
- Most controlled drugs and substances imported into Ontario by air are imported through the Lester B. Pearson airport in Mississauga, Ontario and tried in the Brampton courthouse.
- Most of the criminal organization cases in Ontario originate in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Most of the cases involving the illegal possession or use of firearms originate in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Most complex Charter challenges, including unreasonable searches and seizures of drugs (e.g., grow-ops) and other contraband (e.g., firearms), child pornography and other digital evidence, occur in and around the GTA.
- Most impaired driving offences occur in and around the GTA. These cases are technical in nature and many criminal lawyers avoid them. If you have been charged with an impaired driving offence (e.g., 80 Plus, impaired by alcohol/drug, refuse to provide breath sample), it is imperative that you retain a lawyer that is well-versed in the technical nuances of the law in this area. At Hogan Law Firm, we handle a substantial number of impaired driving cases throughout Ontario.
- Virtually all court proceedings, including set date appearances, Crown pre-trials, Judicial pre-trials, guilty pleas and motions, are now conducted using audio and/or video technology (e.g., conference calls, Zoom, etc.). This means that it is now possible to finish your matter without you or your lawyer ever setting foot in a courtroom. However, our lawyers will travel anywhere within the province whenever necessary in order to achieve the best result possible.
- Most cases resolve before/without a trial. For this reason, many criminal lawyers in Ontario have very little trial experience. If your matter is heading toward a trial, it is important that your criminal lawyer has extensive trial experience. Criminal lawyers in the Greater Toronto Area have more opportunity to proceed to trial. At Hogan Law Firm, over the years we have acquired significant trial experience and never hesitate to take our cases to trial where it makes sense to do so.
- Criminal lawyers in the Greater Toronto Area have access to more resources than elsewhere in the Province, including other colleagues, law libraries, legal organizations and the Law Society of Ontario.
- Lawyer-client meetings can be conducted over Zoom, Skype, Facetime or phone.
- Disclosure is delivered/received electronically and reviewed online.
Choose Hogan Law Criminal Lawyers in Mississauga to Represent You
At Hogan Law Firm, we act for clients throughout Ontario. We have represented clients at all levels of court and at most courthouses in Ontario. We are driven by our passion for justice. For fairness. For liberty. We look for injustices committed by the government and fight to fix them. We relish the opportunity to take our cases to trial where it is in our clients’ interests to do so.
If you have been charged with a criminal offence anywhere in Ontario and would like to have a free consultation with one of our lawyers over Zoom, Skype, FaceTime or phone or in person, contact us today! Call <a href=”tel:4162007005″>(416) 200-7005</a> (24/7) for a free consultation.
Share this Page
About Mark Hogan – Criminal Lawyer in Mississauga, Ontario
Mark Hogan defends criminal charges such as Assaults, Domestic Assault, Assault with a Weapon, Aggravated Assault, Sexual Assault, Uttering Threats, Forcible Confinement, Criminal Harassment, Bail Hearings, Drug Production, Drug Possession, Drug Trafficking, Fraud, Impaired Driving, Over 80, Refuse to Provide a Breath Sample, Theft, Robbery, and Breaking and Entering in Southern Ontario including Toronto GTA, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Milton, Brampton, Newmarket, Ajax, Pickering and Oshawa.
If you have been charged with a criminal offence, call Mark Hogan Criminal Defence Lawyer today for a FREE CONSULTATION! Call (416) 200-7005 (24/7).